In this podcast I share the three levels of decision making that you should go through when you are making a complex career choice. I decided to talk directly to you, so you understand how to make better decisions that make a positive impact in your life.
Highlights from the episode:
- “Easy choices, hard life. Hard choices, easy life.” Jerzy Gregorek
- We don’t account for our future selves.
- Story - I recently struggled to make a choice. I was asked to do a speaking gig for free. It was a good opportunity to get in front of hundreds of my ideal customers, but it would have taken me away from my family.
- The old me would have said yes to the opportunity. The present me tries to find the opportunity in the situation even when there doesn’t seem like one.
- I could have said “No” asked for money, but I decided to go a different route. I asked if I could deliver the talk virtually. They said yes. I was still able to reach this audience, but I didn’t have to fly to another city and be away from my family.
- We want easy choices. We want to say “yes” to please others.
- We often say no to opportunities because it’s not worth our time and effort.
- Understanding how your past influences you choices.
- The cell phone industry was disrupted by the iPhone. Cell phones were free, but then Apple said, Nope, we are going to start charging for them. Now we pay $1K for a new phone, which was unheard of 20 years ago.
- The same thing happened to Polaroid with digital cameras. They wanted to believe that the industry wasn’t changing.
- We must understand how we make decisions to disrupt how we make decisions. If we continue to make decisions the way we always have we will get similar results. If we want to make billion dollar decisions we must improve our decision framework, so we improve our habits and ultimately our ability to make quality choices.
- 3 levels to better decisions faster.
- It starts with your brain.
- Then we move on to the heart
- Then we move on to your gut
It’s easy to make quality decisions when you have a framework that works for your personality. Next time you make a more complicated decision try the Head, Heart and Gut framework and see how it helps you make a better choice for your future self.
If you are struggling with an important decision and you need some support then let me know how I can help. Just fill out this form. I'll teach you the Dig to Fly framework, so your difficult decisions get easier and easier.
Listen to similar episodes that will help your career: