John Griffin is the VP of design for First Citizens Bank. A large bank that has started incorporating more design methodology into its processes. He came from USAA and moved to First Citizens Bank and it was a culture clash for him. You’ll learn how he navigated this big shift in his career.
In this interview you’ll learn how to keep your team engaged as well as building a career that matches your goals. It’s not easy to get people to notice and stand out from the crowd. You’ll see what advice has for his employees and how they get promoted at work.
One of my favorite parts of this episode is how John talks about having candid conversations with his employees and how feedback has played a huge role to him developing as a leader.
- The difference between two large companies that John has worked for.
- His biggest struggle during Covid.
- How do you combine cultures?
- How do you keep a team engaged?
- Getting good at categorizing and boxing these struggles.
- Improving his ability to stay present.
- Utilizing transition periods at work.
- Know what to do when a moment of distraction occurs.
- The benefit of trial and error around habits.
- How do get methodical about crossing off your to do list.
- Why getting up and moving around is built into his schedule.
- How to expand your job role and become more valuable.
- Candid conversations are vital to good communication.
- Book – Radical Candor
- Understanding the career you want to build.
- Trying different things to see what sticks.
You can learn more about John Griffin over at his website Think Griff.
And as always if you have any questions or want to submit a guest for the podcast that you think would be amazing just reach and I’ll do my best to get them on.
Listen to similar episodes that will help your career: